Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Decline of Friendships

In ths U.S. today, I can honestly say that a decline in friendships has definitely taken place. The evolution of society through technology has contributed tremendously. Texting, Facebook and Myspace have become the "norm" for quick communication. However, this type of communication lacks the sincerity and intimacy of one-on-one, face-to-face communication that society had before computers and cell phones took the nation by storm.

It is impossible to develop relationships without the ability to express oneself through the use of eye-to-eye contact, verbal communication and body language. A daily text and an 'updated status' does not encourage a true, deep connection with a person. Sure, it keeps you in contact with that certain person and gives you updates on how they're doing, but at this level, it's nothing more than a social calendar full of small talk.

In this day and age, people are swept away by the daily pressures of school, family, jobs, etc. Technology has most definitely enabled us to stay in touch, but doesn't encourage us to take the time to establish and nurture long-term friendships.

I know for a fact that it's hard for me, personally, to stay in contact with all of my friends outside of UNCSA, even though I live in the same town. I definitely use my phone to stay connected to my good friends away from school, but I make sure that I spend time with them face-to-face as often as I can. Staying a few minutes after church to socialize with my friends there or inviting a friend over for the weekend are just a couple of ways that I keep my friendships solid and the social capital in my life balanced.

No comments:

Post a Comment